Thursday, November 27, 2008

Draper Boulders (Part 1)...




In the climbing world (of which I am a novice), boulderers are known for expending the most amount of energy actually climbing while expending the least amount of energy in the approach. Most bouldering areas are notoriously close to roads and fairly easy to access. It was amazing to me how difficult it was to find this area! The guidebook was several years and even more housing subdivisions old, and there was a lot of overgrowth in the area. Then again, I'm not sure they see a lot of use in November! 

My coworker Brian, photographer and friend Julie, and myself all headed up on a sunny Saturday to get some more bouldering shots. After wandering in the wrong area for an hour and a half (it wasn't too bad, it was a great hike and a gorgeous morning) we finally found the Draper boulders...just off of the Bonneville Shoreline trail. They had some chalk on them, but it was not a very climbed area. We found a good highball boulder, where if you fell you would suffer most certain injury, and had a great session! It looked more difficult than it was, with a lot of great hand and footholds. Overall, it was a gorgeous day! How do you think the pictures turned out?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Darn you, BRIAN! These are GREAT shots... I wish I could have climbed to this spot where you were. If I had the right shoes, I would have been all over it.
This was exactly the shot I wanted that day, I didn't realize that was what Brian was getting as he was atop the same edge of the cliff as you.
This was an adventurous day that ended, well, perfectly.

Ames said...

A novice huh?
Great pics!