Saturday, November 22, 2008

Late Fall Bouldering...






Liberty Mountain comes out with two catalogs a year. The first is a gigantic sized "Everything" catalog that displays our almost 20,000 items in full color and glossy pages. When describing it to potential customers I refer to it as the "phonebook sized catalog that can stop a bullet and probably kill a man if thrown!" The other catalog we produce is a climbing only catalog that is significantly thinner and full of climbing and bouldering photos of staff and friends on every page. It's put together and presented as professional as possible and is meant to "showcase" the wicked awesome radicalness of Liberty Mountain employees. Unfortunately, I only had one picture in last years catalog...a lowly V0 boulder found near Stansbury Island. The location was great and the boulder was fun, but that particular picture that ended up in the catalog was an awkward and unflattering back shot. I was determined to get some better shots this year.

Friends are good, friends with mad skills are even better! One of my friends, Julie, is a professional photographer. We met a month or so ago as she photographed my brothers wedding and as I've gotten to know her her talents have become obvious. In my quest for better climbing shots she was the perfect person to document my efforts. We set up a day that would work with both of our schedules and picked a good spot and went to town. My fellow Liberty Mountain Desk Lacky, Tobin (* there you go!), joined us for the climbing shoot and we headed to Little Cottonwood Canyon. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate, with a recent snow, so we were stuck to bouldering at the Cabbage Patch boulders. We got some good climbs in but it got dark fast and the flash batteries gave out on us. It was a fun time and we had some good laughs in the process. Despite the snow and difficult lighting I think the pictures turned out great, what do you think?

9 comments:

aisy said...

i'm glad you started out with the ass shot. hope that's the only one that makes the magazine. ha ha. just kidding.

McLovin said...

Haha, my flat pancake Native ass won't be making any cover shots anytime soon! Thanks for the comment, hope off season tri training is going well!

Natasha said...

Photos look GREAT! You rock Julie -Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Photo 3 looks the best, nice expression of desperation. Sometimes photos don't show just how hard a problem is... if you can capture that, then it is a great photo.

Dubsoldier said...

this day was way fun...how come you no mention that I was there? I'm a Liberty Mountain employee, gosh no respect in the blogworld these days...

Dubsoldier said...

where's me pics?

McLovin said...

Yes Tobin, you were there, you are just a lowly Liberty Mountain Employee and so deserve NO respec'! I'll update the entry just for you!

Unknown said...

Anyone that has the mad skills to climb these wet, cold rocks is a hero in my book! It was totally worth climbing on top, risking a possible painful fall and broken camera, to get these shots. Thanks for the extra time with frozen stiff fingers for the benefit of my career, you guys rock! (no pun intended;)

Ames said...

I think it's awesome you climb in jeans, shows how natural it is for you. The photographs turned out way better than your ass debut! The angles really capture you working the problem. I llllike 'em!