Saturday, November 1, 2008

My Ellie May...


One of my better friends from high school had a 1981 Volkswagen Jetta we used to put around in. It was a faded red, diesel powered beast that managed to somehow make it over 200,000 kilometers (124,274 miles for my American readers). My friend named his car "Adolph", a name that played on the German origins of the Volkswagen company, and a name I have replicated on my own VW. It was the first time I had heard of anyone naming their car, and since then have had named all of my important machines. 

Enter Ellie May. 

I named my Ellsworth Evolve mountain bike Ellie May because she's a sultry belle with all the right curves and she knows how to treat her man! I can get her dirty and she never complains, she's always up for an adventure, and has all the right characteristics of a keeper! Anyone else name their bikes or cars?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love naming my 'machines'! I think it makes having it that much more fun!
I've named most of my cars through the years:
Honda Prelude: 'the lude'
High School truck: 'blue torpedo'
RX-7: 'majesty'
Honda Odyssey: 'hot ody'
Hawaii truck: 'rusty'

I think Rusty was my fav- he had the most style and the most memorable crazy rides! Thank to the hole in the floor board, sealed shut doors, permanently jammed Hawaiian tape, and no windows! I miss da kine ride in rusty!

aisy said...

nope.. my car nickname never stuck. but my cello does indeed have a name. maybe you should look in to legalizing marriage with bikes.

McLovin said...

Aisy! Nooooo, I'd rather you turned lesbian than turning to machinery! Trust me, there is a wonderful guy out there for you, you don't have to give up! I implore you! ;)

aisy said...

i was talking about you, ya freak!

McLovin said...

More like projecting on me, ya freak! hahaha!

Dubsoldier said...

Rachel's boy just named my bong Bert.

Ames said...

When I was in college, my Grandfather let me drive around his old blue station wagon, manual transmission. I named it "the beast" and we had lots of good times together...breakdowns, car chases...i have to admit I even ran out of gas in the beast...it was quite the ride :) I have yet to name the new car....