Saturday, January 5, 2008

My First 24 Hour Race...




Ok, so a 24 hour mountain bike race is not as intense as it may sound...it can be, but my first one wasn't too difficult. First, some background information: a 24 hour mountain bike race is a race that is conducted on a loop of varying distance (usually between 8 and 14 miles) and the total number of laps completed in a 24 hour period is calculated. The race can be run as an individual (solo category) or in teams (2, 4, or 5 members), the team or racer with the highest number of laps completed is wins their category.

The 24 HOM had a loop distance of 15 miles and an elevation gain of 1,360 feet each lap. I raced on a 5-person co-ed team consisting of current and former workers, and friends of Racers Cycle Service, owned by friend Racer Gibson. Of the five I was the second to go out after Racer and following me was Kelly, Shae, and Maggie.
My first lap was conservative and I found the uphill sandstone sections difficult at first, but I soon got in to a rhythm and they became easier. The course was technical but soooo fun, I got a flat the first lap but was able to complete the lap! My night lap was difficult, mostly because it was the first time I had ridden at night and with new lights that took some fiddling with. Halfway though the night lap I had to stop and change my bar mounted light to my helmet and vice versa, after that the light contrast became much better and I was faster but I had a pretty slow night lap. My final lap was my fastest, it was cold and I was battling leaking air in my rear tire but I felt the most comfortable pushing it this lap because I knew it was my last and I was most familiar with the course.

Overall I LOVED the race and will compete in more 24 hour races in the future! Night riding was amazing and I look forward to getting more night laps in, and being in better shape and better prepared for next years races. I loved camping at the course and the family atmosphere that 24 hour racers share as well. Oh yeah, the hot showers and massage therapists available at the venue were amazing as well! See you there next year!

No comments: